Tuesday, April 3, 2007

What?

I gave him an amused look but Oliver was gasping. Left to you, he said, there would have been no search at all ... or certainly not in time to save my business.
Wyfold's expression said plainly that saving people's busi¬nesses wasn't his prime concern, but beyond mentioning that picking locks and stealing medicinal substances constituted a breach of the law he kept any further disapproval to himself.
He was on his feet, ready to go, when Ursula rang again, and he could almost hear every word she said because of her enthusiasm.
I'm in Gloucestershire, she shouted. I thought I'd work from the other end, if you see what I mean. I remembered Calder had miraculously cured Binty Rockingham's utterly brilliant three-day-eventer who was so weak he could hardly totter, so I came here to her house to ask her, and guess what?
I asked obligingly.
That lad worked for her! The triumph exploded. A good lad, she says, would you believe it? He called himself Clint. She can't remember his last name, it was more than two years ago and he was only here a few weeks.

No comments: